Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Selective Focus - Firebringer

I believe this image shows an interesting effect as a result of selective focus in lighting. In this scene from the musical Firebringer, I noticed that much of the lighting tends to focus intensely on the protagonist Zazzalil during this chaotic moment onstage. The rest of the characters are lit up, yes, by practicals in the form of torches. But it’s interesting to me how she is still the focus of the scene despite standing behind everyone else, and the selective focus in lighting helps to portray this effect.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that it is interesting how the main character in the back in the focus despite the draw the torches have. The reason I think this is, is because the torches don't illuminate the actors faces while there is a much stronger light on the furthest back character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this light has many dimensions. The color gives us mood and then we are also drawn to whom we are supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the use of the vibrant red color. Along with the torches, it really feels like the characters are moving through an angry fire.

    ReplyDelete