Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Seaport at Sunset by Lorrain

This piece, "Seaport at Sunset," was painted by Claude Lorrain in 1639. I like the use of lighting in this painting because the shallow angle of the light highlights the beauty and detail of the sea and surrounding seaport buildings and ships. I love the colors in this painting. The hues in the sunset complement the colors in the surrounding scene and make the painting appear very realistic. The lighting makes me feel like I am getting the last glimpses of a bustling day at the seaport. 


1 comment:

  1. I like that the sun in this painting draws your eye to the horizon. It is as if everything else in the photo, particularly the ships, create direct lines toward the sun and this creates a focus on the sun. I like the contrast between the pale colors of the sunset and the dark colors of the figures on land and the ships.

    ReplyDelete