Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Interesting/Bad Color

Mary Poppins was one of the first shows I ever saw on Broadway, and I remember the scene from this photo distinctly because I thought the color of the lighting was very interesting. The lights that backlight the scenery have a red to a purple hue. I do not like the choice of color because I feel that this portrays something ominous, as red light is taking over the dark city represented by the silhouette. While I understand that the color could be a representation of the early morning, I did not think the deep red chosen was the best representation of the time of day. I also do not like the blue light that washes over the actors. While I understand this could be viewed as moonlight, as a viewer, I feel this makes an upbeat and stunning scene of elaborate dance numbers feel washed out and sullen. 

From: https://www.behrenreich.com/mary-poppins-1

No comments:

Post a Comment